Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fat grams limit per day[edit | edit source]
General Health[edit | edit source]
- County level map with many factors you can map per county, like obesity rate, adult smoking, inactivity, teen births, uninsured, high school graduation, unemployment, children in poverty, income inequality, violent crime, physical environment, air pollution, drinking water violations, severe housing problems, and more.
- US Map with time slider, and many factors you can map, one at a time.
Healthcare costs[edit | edit source]
Leptin[edit | edit source]
- Leptin doesn't help obese people because the brain doesn't know the leptin is there. "Giving leptin only helps in a few extremely rare cases in the world in which people make no leptin at all, which causes them to overeat and become obese. When those people received leptin by injection, they stopped overeating and lost weight. But for the vast majority of people, the treatment won't work, nor is leptin approved as a medical treatment for weight loss." It is thought that "leptin resistance" might play a part in obesity. The obese person has plenty of leptin but the brain doesn't see it. WebMD.
- Leptin, magnesium, starvation, obesity, and how they are related. "Obese people generally have hyperinsulinemia (high levels of insulin in the blood) and insulin causes fat to be stored in fat cells. Obese people in general cannot satisfy their body’s demands for energy or nutrients by eating. In this scenario, lethargy, hunger and stress is not a cause of obesity, it’s an effect of it (due to the internal starvation). Syndrome X, also known as metabolic syndrome is a combination of insulin resistance, leptin resistance and glucose intolerance."
- Genetics of leptin, and how it works in general. Oxford Journal.
Obesity[edit | edit source]
- BMI = weight in lbs * 703/(HeightInches)^2. Healthy BMI = 18.5 to 24.9. Overweight = BMI 25-29.9. Obese = BMI 30+
- 2008, Obese people have higher medical costs. In 2008, medical costs associated with obesity were estimated at $147 billion; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight.
- 2009. Obesity vs diabetes, tables and map of US states
- 2010, WHO: 78% of Americans are overweight or obese
- 2011, Unbelievable obesity stats.
- 2014. Obesity over time for several countries. PDF, page 2. Includes US, Mexico, Korea, Australia, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, England (that's what they call it).
- 2014, WHO: 32.6% of Americans are obese
- 2014. Worldwide obesity in 2014 is 39% for adults age 18 and over.
- 2016, WHO: In 2016, 39% of women and 39% of men aged 18 and over were overweight
- 2015-2016, CDC. Obesity rates 2015-2016. Includes PDFs for adults and children data.
Obesity maps and raw data[edit | edit source]
- Obesity by US county
- Obesity rates by US state
- Interactive obesity map for 2010
- CSV file with county level obesity rates for 2008.
- County level data from CDC.
- County level map from CDC with time slider. 2004-2012.
- ***County level map with many factors you can map per county, like obesity rate, adult smoking, inactivity, teen births, uninsured, high school graduation, unemployment, children in poverty, income inequality, violent crime, and more.
- Obesity color maps for the world, by country. From WHO.