Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cars[edit | edit source]
- India's Tata Nano the $6000usd car. It isn't sold in the US because it doesn't meet US safety regulations, which will increase the price. Wikipedia entry.
- $6800 Elio gets 84mpg
Energy[edit | edit source]
Batteries[edit | edit source]
- Batteriser extends battery life 800%.
- Joule Thief
Fuel Cells[edit | edit source]
- Bloom energy uses natural gas to make electricity. Major customers listed here. Wikipedia article here. The Bloom Box can use a wide variety of sources of hydrocarbons, from natural gas to liquid or gas hydrocarbons. The capital cost of a Bloom Box is $.08-.10 per kwh, compared to $.09 per kw in my area.
Graphene[edit | edit source]
Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator[edit | edit source]
Generate electricity from radiation. Problems: theft of radioactive material, accidental exposure to material, power slowly decreases over time, low watts per kg, about 1.3 to 5.2 watts/kg.
Solar[edit | edit source]
- Nanopillar solar cells absorb 99% of visible light compared to 85% for other cells. (No login needed when I was there.)
- 2008 Concentrated PV cells focus sunlight on a small PV cell. From IBM.
- 2008 Flexible solar cells.
- 2008 Cheaper cells are more efficient at 17% energy conversion. Industry standard is 14% efficiency.
- Triple junction cells (gallium arsenide) are 3x more efficient than other PV cells.
- 2015-05-13 Solar cells get 34% efficiency.
- 2015-10-30 Using solar to split water into hydrogen and oxygen.
- 2015-12-23 Low cost solar cells from lead via discarded batteries.
- 2016-01-06 New record efficiency with dual-junction solar cells: 29.2%.
- 2016-01-18 Cheaper solar cells with 20.2% efficiency.