Things to consider when looking into alternative energy. What you will need:
- Source of power, either photovoltaic or wind or water.
- Charge controller for PV or wind. They are not the same!
- Battery to store power for later use.
Wind Power[edit | edit source]
How many volts does it take to charge a 12vdc battery?
- The supply voltage for a 12V battery bank is about 16V. This allows charging lead acid to 14.40V (6 x 2.40V/cell) and Li-ion to 12.60 (3 x 4.20V/cell). There are also different charge controllers for different battery types. http://battery university dot com/learn/article/charging_with_solar_and_turbine
- An advanced charge controller tracks power by measuring the voltage and adjusting the current to get maximum power transfer with prevailing light conditions. Get a controller with MPPT to make the most of lower power conditions.
The battery[edit | edit source]
Convert heat to electricity[edit | edit source]
- PESWiki: Eneco power chip. On Jan. 11, 2008, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. As of long before July, 2013, the successor company, MicroPower Global, has been thriving through their partnership with Texas State University.
- Eneco group website
- Micro-power Global, owner of the intellectual property.
- 2007: Solid state device converts heat to energy
- 2013-06: New chip converts heat to energy. This article says it generates power using a heat differential, which is how a peltier module works.
- 2009-11: MIT news.
- DDG Search.
Possibly a different process[edit | edit source]
- 2012-09: Material best at converting heat to power. ScienceDaily.
- 2012-09: Material converts heat to electricity. Tech Journal. Material made from lead telluride, dosed with sodium, and shoved into strontium telluride. At Northwestern Univ in Evanston, Illinois.
- 2012-11: New material converts heat to power, and is made from dirt.