Things to consider when looking into alternative energy. What you will need:
- Source of power, either photovoltaic or wind or water.
- Charge controller for PV or wind. They are not the same!
- Battery to store power for later use.
Wind Power[edit | edit source]
How many volts does it take to charge a 12vdc battery?
- The supply voltage for a 12V battery bank is about 16V. This allows charging lead acid to 14.40V (6 x 2.40V/cell) and Li-ion to 12.60 (3 x 4.20V/cell). There are also different charge controllers for different battery types. http://battery university dot com/learn/article/charging_with_solar_and_turbine
- An advanced charge controller tracks power by measuring the voltage and adjusting the current to get maximum power transfer with prevailing light conditions. Get a controller with MPPT to make the most of lower power conditions.